Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Taking Risks....on sour milk?

I will open this blog by saying that writing it is taking a risk itself. I'm hoping that the muses will look down upon me and shine down their inspiration....still waiting...
okay, anyways.
The other day I was struck with a great idea for a blog similar to what I am writing now, but I can't EXACTLY remember what it was. I was at Delia's, and about to enjoy a delicious bowl of cereal when I noticed the expiration date was the day before. Now ordinarily, this does not deter my enjoyment of the milk, but Delia's amazement, and I believe disgust at the fact that I drink EXPIRED milk made me think twice. I drank the milk with the cereal and enjoyed it thoroughly, but it sent me into a series of thoughts on the expiration date of milk. Where does this date come from? I know it is stamped onto the battle at the factory, but why is it THAT day? Why not the day before? I don't think there are certain cows that give longer lasting milk than others. Do the cows tell those milking them what day it will be when this milk goes bad? And, if so, how can we trust these cows? What if they are mad cows? I don't think this would bother me quite so much, except for the finality of the expiration date. It does not say on the bottle, "Around Jan 15," or "Appx. Jan 15", it says JAN 15 arrogantly and unwaveringly, as if to say, HAHAHA, it's a race against time, you can bake bread and eat cereal all day, but you'll STILL have to throw me out. So I guess my drinking milk after the expiration day, is, in my own way, a way to fightback against those cows and the milk cartons. I refuse to give in to their tyranny, and only hope one day that I don't tip up the jug for a long chug, and end up eating cottage cheese. Until next time,
Milk...it does a body good (for two weeks).

2 comments:

Katie Mo said...

hahaha, Charles, that's the most nonsense I've ever heard you talk. And it's great, do it again! haha, Happy New year.
also be careful with the milk. it's scary.

Unknown said...

Charles,

The length of time from your last post on sour milk is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. You have valued silence too long.